Last week I was fortunate to attend the annual conference of the National Restaurant Association’s Marketing Executive Group in Chicago. There were several great speakers from inside and outside the industry. Here are some of my favorite quotes (or paraphrases) from the event.
- Howard Putnam, former CEO of Southwest and Braniff Airlines: “Turbulence is inevitable, but misery is optional.” Quite appropriate for the economic mess we’ve all been trying to navigate.
- Scott Davis, chief growth officer at Prophet and author of Shift: “Insights are the new currency for marketers.” This certainly highlights the important role marketers play in bringing actionable customer insight to the table to guide their companies’ actions.
- Lane Cardwell, CEO of PF Chang’s China Bistro: “If you are going to open up a dialogue with customers, you better show up to the conversation.” Lane highlighted the all-to-common problem of rushing in to social media and then leaving it unattended. This leads to frustrations among the loyal customers you were trying to engage.
- Amber Mac (@ambermac), author of Power Friending: “Drive people home; don’t forget your website for social media.” She echoes our belief that consumers are still finding value in well-executed websites. Facebook pages on their own are just not enough.
- Russell Weiner, CMO of Domino’s Pizza: “To be transparent, allow consumers to double-click and go deeper.” He put this into practice by creating a website to share candid videos about the restaurant’s Pizza Turnaround.
What tasty quotes have you seen or heard lately?