I wanted to share a few of the blogs written by CMOs that I follow and add some new ones I hadn’t seen before. What I discovered in researching new ones is that there are very few blogs written by CMOs! I was amazed and a bit disappointed by what I found. Here we are in a year when social media is all the rage and the executives who should be showing the way are absent. Sure, many of them support corporate blogs, but that’s different. And, yes, many CMOs are on Twitter (more on that in another post soon). But come on ladies and gentlemen. Step up!
You are the brand champions for your companies. The change agents for marketing. The ones who say you lead by example. So where are you? I searched Google for “CMO Blogs” and you weren’t to be found. In fact the Top 10 List of CMO Bloggers returned in the search was published in 2006.
So my hats off to these five CMOs for taking time to share their thoughts in more than 140 characters!
- Nigel Dessau: Hosted on the AMD blog site, Nigel shares his insights on the business in a personal way. But he also writes separate blog called The Three Minute Mentor, which contains quick, career-related advice and offers answers to common questions.
- Sam Decker: Soon-to-be former CMO of BazaarVoice, Sam shares his insights on social commerce and digital marketing.
- Jim Davis: Jim is the CMO of SAS and shares his insights on business, analytics and technology.
- John Dragoon: When John, CMO of Novell, takes time to write a post, he really writes a thoughtful piece.
- Randall Beard: As EVP of Nielsen, Randall shares his insights from his vantage point of seeing lots of media data.
Who am I missing? There must be more CMO bloggers out there. Let me know who you follow. Also weigh in on why there aren’t more out there.